Salem Public Library Meeting Room Policy Educational, civic, cultural, and government groups may use the Library meeting room if they agree, in writing, to follow all rules and regulations established by the Salem Public Library for the use of the room. The meeting room will be available to all groups who have an open membership policy and do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, national origin, religion, or physical disabilities.
1. Salem Public Library and Friends of the Salem Public Library programs have priority over other groups’ programs in the meeting room. Otherwise, use of the meeting room is scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
2. The Meeting Room is not available for charitable or political fund-raising activities or social gatherings.
3. Requests to use the Meeting Room must be made in writing on the Meeting Room Application. Applications cover January-June or July-December of each calendar year. Groups not sponsored by the Salem Public Library, the City of Salem, or other government agency may not use the Meeting Room more than twice in one month.
4. All meetings are to be held during library business hours and must conclude by the time the library closes for the day.
5. If the library is closed because of weather or other unforeseen circumstances, the use of the Meeting Room is cancelled and the registrant will be notified as soon as possible.
6. The registrant agrees to observe the following:
7. All programs/meetings must be open to the public (except lawful closed sessions of governmental bodies).
8. No administration fees will be charged or donations taken at the programs/meetings except for fees for conference programs or educational courses sponsored by the Library, the City of Salem, or other government agencies.
9. Registration by participants may not be required for attendance at programs except for those sponsored by the Library, the City of Salem, or other government agencies.
10. No goods or services will be sold, nor may there be solicitations, on the premises of the Library except by the Library, the City of Salem, or other government agencies.
11. All publicity must list the name of the organization sponsoring the meeting. The Library may not be named as a sponsor of any event without its written permission.
12. The fact that a group is permitted to meet at the Library does not in any way constitute an endorsement of the group or its programs.
13. Neither the name nor address of the Library may be used as the official address or headquarters of any organization.
14. Light refreshments, but no alcoholic beverages, may be served. The group is responsible for clean-up and removal of all trash after the meeting, and for leaving the meeting room in the condition in which it was found.
15. The registrant is responsible for damages or loss to Library equipment, furniture, or facilities during the meeting and will pay for any damages.
16. If an event is canceled, the registrant will notify the Library as soon as possible so the room may be rescheduled for another use.
17. The Library is not responsible for loss of items left on the premises. Groups not sponsored by the Salem Public Library, the City of Salem, or other government agencies must restrict their meetings and associated activities to the meeting room while in the library building.
18. Activity and noise levels in the meeting room during meetings must not disrupt or disturb regular library activities. Users of the Meeting Room must abide by all local, state, and federal laws, ordinances, and regulations, including occupancy limits.
19. The registrant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the City and all its officers, employees, and agents from any and all claims, demands, suits, causes of action or judgments, any person may have as a result of any damages suffered while utilizing the Meeting Room. Any violation of these rules and regulations may result in an order to vacate the premises immediately and/or suspension of the privilege of using the Meeting Room
The library allows use of the tables and chairs available in our meeting room and closet, and organizations are free to set the room up as needed (library staff are not responsible for set-up or take-down of the meeting room).
The library also allows free use of a laptop and projector and can assist you with set-up of these devices.